Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Pacifists, Environmentalists, and Profeminists Oh My!

I tend to veer towards radical thought.  Don't ask me why.  Or do.  It doesn't matter.  Either way I can only say that I don't know.  The truth is just that I do.  I like the label radical.  Holding to beliefs that might make most of the people I know squeal is appealing to me.  While that can lead to all kinds of problems, what I'm finding is that I have good reason to believe what I believe.  Take for instance my being a pacifist, which I will admit is something I refer to almost too often.  My being a pacifist, if it were only for the sake of being a pacifist, would be, frankly, stupid.  But I am a pacifist as an extension of my view of the redemption of human kind by Jesus on the cross.  God's method of choice was non-violent, and I believe that is how She wants us to live.  So I am a pacifist, because I can not reconcile violent means with the call to love my enemies, and to not resist evil by force.  You make disagree with me, but I dare say you can't say I don't at least have a valid, thought out reason.  The same can be said about the fact that I have decided to become a vegetarian, on theological grounds no less.  (I'm still working through these beliefs)  Or my being profeminist (an area of theology that I am especially interested in reading more about at the moment).  
However.  At the same time, I have to admit that what attracts me to these beliefs is the fact that for each of them, I can, and have to, say and believe things that will make people around me uncomfortable and maybe angry.  For instance, you might have squirmed when earlier in this blog I referred to God as She.  I don't apologize for that.  For me it is at the least a way of balancing and baptizing the patriarchal elements of my context:  as a white male, and as a westerner/American.  But I also know that I want to refer to God as She because it will make people upset.  And if they are upset, then they might have to think about their own beliefs a bit.  That is important to me.  I grew up in a denomination that cares not too much for thinking.  It is a constant struggle to combat the conditioning that occurred during the many many hours I sat hearing preaching, and was taught to see the world in a way that I can not accept any longer.  I think that my tendency toward radicalism is an extension of my struggle with my past.  But at the same time, I also think it's a load of fun.  I can only ask God that She will help me to be mature about it, and to use my words and life for Her glory.

No comments: